I got a great deal on a Celestron telescope just because the tripod was broken. I was going to use a heavy duty tripod I had but the part looked so simple to duplicate.

Using just Open Scad and a micrometer I was able to quickly model the broken clip and get it printing.

Careful measuring and even the rivet holes lined up! I couldn’t help countersinking a 1/4-20 nut in the side

Now to chop up a bolt and make a replica of the missing thumbscrew

A Dremel with a cutoff wheel made short work of that.

Looks pretty close. I made the head with a D shaped top for strength. I set the bolt in with a little epoxy…..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *